jueves, julio 28, 2005

T-minus 16 days and counting

Well, we're almost two weeks away from flying to Central America for a year, and we're both feeling a mix of excitement and apprehension. Excitement for all the new experiences and places and people we'll be seeing soon, but apprehension for...well...pretty much the same reasons! The conversational spanish class I'm taking at Lansing Community College is ending on Monday, and I feel like I have a decent foundation to begin my spanish with. Megan has wisely assured me that no matter how confident I am in my embryonic spanish that I will feel totally overwhelmed once we are in Tegucigalpa. That didn't really reassure me, but I think it's better than having my expectations blown out of the water rather violently. Somehow I think she's right. After all, knowing how to ask someone for their phone number and if they have any pets can only get you so far in conversation.
In the meantime, our apartment is going to be in a general state of disarray for the next 5 days or so while we attempt to pack up all the things we've accumulated over the past few months. So today was spent trashing alot of old school stuff (except for a few stellar exams and papers) and packing away ridiculous amounts of books. These books fall into four distinct categories:

1. Books we've actually read
2. Books we've partially read but ran out of steam somewhere in the middle
3. Books we plan to read
4. Books we'll almost positively never read but like keeping them just in case we get bored enough one day and have nothing better to do.

Speaking of reading, we don't expect to have a television while we're in Honduras, so we're trying to take down a few good books with us. Any suggestions? And don't say War and Peace. "Light" is the key word here.

3 Comments:

At 2:05 p. m., Blogger Al said...

Oh, light books? I suggest Moby Dick. Nothing like pages and pages of description on carving up a whale to pass the time away.

 
At 11:26 a. m., Anonymous Anónimo said...

Ignore Alan. Moby Dick leaves much to be desired...I had to read it for a class once.

Seriously, though, anything by Lauren Winner (Girl Meets God, Mudhouse Sabbath, etc.) is a good read. I also like Jane Austen, but that might not be Brad's thing so much... ;)

 
At 7:39 p. m., Anonymous Anónimo said...

come over to my place and watch TV with me. :)

-Jeff

 

Publicar un comentario

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter