viernes, agosto 19, 2005

International Jesus

Being immersed in a foreign language makes you think. After sitting through a few spanish church services, hours of meetings in spanish, hearing spanish prayers (which tend to be quite lengthy) and general spanish conversation I began thinking about language in general and how crazy it is. I've thought about this before of course, but I just can't get away from how amazing it is. The idea that sounds from your mouth translate into ideas that someone else can understand and relate to is just mind blowing. God is ridiculously creative for thinking this one up. It would've been really easy, for instance, for us to just touch one another on the arm or something and transmit our feelings and thoughts to one another. Except bumping into one another might be a bit frightening, depending on who you bump into. Anyway, I don't want to get super weird here.
I just caught myself thinking about how I can't really understand anything that's being said during these conversations and prayers, but I can see that peoples lives have been drastically changed as a result of being exposed to "the Word of God". That phrase, the Word of God, is something we kind of throw around a lot as Christians but really don´t stop to think about it. Being down here has made me think twice about that phrase. In spite of the language barrier between myself and those that speak only spanish, there´s something inherent in the Bible that changes peoples lives. I think it was Napoleon of all people who described the Bible as "...a living creature" because what it contains gets into people and changes them inside. Kind of crazy, but right in a way.
Anyway, we are doing well and have been super busy preparing for classes. We had a fun adventure today walking around a nice neighborhood near the biggest mall in Tegucigalpa to find a doctors office for Megans follow up hive visit. She´s doing really well now and she´s had excellent care since we´ve been down here. Hopefully there won´t be a Revenge of the Hives: Part XXIII coming soon... :)
We´ll try to post on the blog more often once classes get in full swing, but the internet at the school is kind of tempermental. As one of our fellow teachers, Hector, described the internet situation...."Welcome to Honduras!"

1 Comments:

At 6:56 a. m., Blogger Yi said...

The Language thing: When I was in Germany, we'd have those praise and worship time every morning, and we'd sing songs in German. Of course, I didn't understand a word of it, but it was still beautiful and even a little emotional for me to think God understands them all. He understands our prayers and our worships in all those different languages, and that simply fact just blows my mind...

 

Publicar un comentario

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter