miércoles, enero 25, 2006

Relaxing on the beach with a "good" book.........

So, last weekend Brad and I went to Tela to spend a relaxing time on the beach (it was beautiful and we'll post pictures when we can). Since I will soon have to begin teaching the creation/evolution debate in my science classes, and the textbooks definately leave something to be desired, I picked up the "leading creationist work in fossil study" bestseller book called "Bones of Contention".

I have always had a difficult time reading creationist scientific studies and being satisfied with the information they present. I do believe that God created the world, but my belief is soley based on the word of God and has nothing to do with work done at the Institute of Creation Science. I find that creationist articles or papers lack data, figures, graphs...basically things that I have come to find necessary while studying at MSU. Having said that, and also having said that this is the "leading creationist work in fossil study", here are a few things that I have experienced in this book:

1. Hostility by the author toward nearly anyone who is famous in the field of paleoanthropology (you can almost feel the anger steaming off of the page).
2. An extremely strange and seemingly so-dumbed-down-it-is-incorrect explanation of the theory of evolution found on page 62 if anyone cares to check it out.
3. An assertion that Darwin's writings are basically soley responsible for the enslavement of native peoples (conveniently forgetting to mention the enslavement of the native peoples in Latin America by the Spanish before Darwin entered the academic scene).
4. Criticism of evolution in that there are "presumptions inherent in the theory" and therefore the science is incorrect.......but what I cannot understand is how this can possibly be a criticism of evolution and not creationist science.

The best part is that I am still only on page 98 of an approximately 350 page book. I am not opposed to considering scientific evidence by creationists if it is accurate and thoroughly researched. And I should say that the author has mentioned a few points that piqued my curiosity. However, I have to say that I am quite disappointed in this "leading" creationist report on human evolution. If anyone has any suggestions on an interesting book about this debate please let me know.

2 Comments:

At 9:47 a. m., Anonymous Anónimo said...

Megan,
Check out http://icr.org/
It is called Institue for creation research. I believe they have pretty scientific data, although it may not be quite up to par of what you are looking for. But I hope they help. Good luck with the debate!!
Dana

 
At 2:40 p. m., Anonymous Anónimo said...

Brad & Megan,

If it's the Lubenow book you're reading, I think I read it a number of years ago. I don't remember much from it (other than that he focuses on the fossil record a bit) but I vaguely remember gleaning some insights from his work.

You may want to consider getting Phil Johnson's "Darwin on Trial". Another good one may be Lee Strobel's "Case for a Creator".

Bummer that you're missing the Intelligent Design/Evolution discussion that we've started in Case Hall at MSU. Email me if you're interested in the particulars of our little soiree'.

Take care,
Chuck

 

Publicar un comentario

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter