Back from La Esperanza
We made it back from La Esperanza in one piece, but very exhausted, on Sunday around 6pm. La Esperanza is a decent sized Honduran village of about 5,000 people, mostly of Lencan heritage. On Saturday we visited a few spots outside of the village that included going to a lake/pond (they only have one large lake here, so going to an inland body of water is a big deal), checking out a miniature pine forest, walking up a huge set of stairs to a Catholic shrine embedded in a mountainside, visiting a local public school, and eating some delicious Honduran food. I survived Saturday night better than expected, after the guys had settled down a bit. They ran around to each others beds, ganging up on one person at a time and beating him while he laid in bed. Of course farting was involved too because they're middle school boys, so they took turns flatulating in the face of the person who fell asleep first. After a couple rounds of each I had to be the bad guy and lay down the law...and the funny thing is that it actually worked without much protest.
On Sunday we went back into La Esperanza to visit the busy market place, which was PACKED with people selling, buying, talking, begging, watching and basically doing anything else that involves action. I think I got some pretty good photos, so I'll have to post them once we get them developed. The most interesting thing we saw for sale there was probably "vino de papa"...or translated, "potato wine". Sounds gross, but we might have to make a trip back for some!

2 Comments:
Hey dudes,
Just saying hi. Hi. I've been busy working on my prelim- actually I've been in the library all day today working on it. After March 14 it will be over and I'm looking forward to it. Looks like you guys are having lots of sweet adventures, enjoy it!!
-Katie
LOve the photos from Tela - can't wait to see it in person.
Love to you both.
Mom
Publicar un comentario
<< Home