God vs. the control freak
This past Friday, Megan and I went with the entire secondary school (about ~70 students) to Parque Nacional La Tigra in honor of the "Spring Festival" theme at the school. Megan and I (and I assume some other teachers as well) were really kind of dreading the outing, as we've seen how some of the kids behave in class. The thought of letting them loose in a cloud forest did not conjure up good images in our minds. In addition to this, many of the kids were complaining about the long walk they would have to endure as a result of coming on the trip, in spite of the fact they would be missing school that day. Basically we had our minds made up that it was going to be a disaster. The principal at the school kept reminding the teachers during the week that we need to pray for the trip, that everything would go well. And so we prayed even though our hearts were pretty hardened to the whole idea.
So the day of the trip comes along and it was cloudy and a little rainy. "Perfect!" we muttered to ourselves. We were supposed to leave at 7:30 from the school, but 7:30 came...then 8:00...then 8:15 and still no bus. At this point I was thinking that someone had forgot to tell the drivers we needed the buses THIS Friday. In the middle of all this impatience and worry, it somehow dawned on me that I should probably pray instead of getting all bent out of shape. So I did.
When the buses arrived at 8:30 I was relieved, but only for a little while. These were full size school buses, and the roads we were going to be traveling on were unmaintained gravel roads, complete with deep ruts, large rocks and hair-pin turns. Plus it was still raining - just enough to make the road wet enough that a bus might not be able to make it up a steep incline. So I started to worry again. My excessive worry receptors somehow switched on my "better pray again" receptors, so I did.
After we loaded all the kids up and prayed yet again before we took off, we came to the entrance to the main highway. Conveniently enough, a traffic jam awaited us there! So I prayed again, mostly just to keep my anger from boiling over at this point. Eventually the traffic cleared and we were on our way.
Amazingly enough, on our way there the rain stopped falling. Both buses loaded with 40 kids each made it up the mountain in spite of the less than ideal road conditions. The kids enjoyed themselves even though they had to walk a lot. And to our surprise, not one kid was hurt when it was all over.
This whole ordeal reminded me just how little control we have in our lives, even though many of our modern conveniences lead us to the false assumption that we do have control over things and circumstances. It reminded me how simple (simple - not easy) it is just to ask God to take care of those things I can't control. To rely on him instead of my own timing, planning, ability, strength, whatever. There's a lot of freedom in that I think. And it's definitely something this anal-retentive, impatient, chronic-worrying control freak needs to do more of.

6 Comments:
Hey Guys! Just wanted to let you know that little "story" was a good reminder for me today. Take care!
Chaeli :)
Hey Chaeli! Hope you and John and your psycho, flashlight chasing cat are doing great. Time to go leave a comment on your blog....hehehe
interesting u charge to your god the "good" things but not the bad, not the bus driver irresponsability, not the fact that it was raining, not the traffic etc.. hehe its kind funy how a person can think that close way.
Even if all those things were the design of God - the rain, the late bus drivers, the traffic jam - who am I to say that he doesn't know what he's doing? Did it make me happy that those things happened? No. But do I think that God used that situation to teach me something about my relationship with him? Yes. Was Job pleased when his flocks and family were killed and his skin broke out in boils? Doubt it. Did he understand the mystery of the sovereignty of God a little better after the whole ordeal? I think so.
Thanks for the thought Brad. Good reminder.
Hey guys! Yeah, we're ready for a little break, and luckily we're getting one this weekend and a little bit of next week. Heather is coming down to hang with us for a week, so we're going to go to the beach for a day and then go to some Mayan ruins after that. But we'll have a mountain of papers waiting for us to grade when we get back. Methinks it will be worth it.
Love ya,
Brad and Megan
Publicar un comentario
<< Home