lunes, mayo 01, 2006

Hairy Hamburgers and Un-Labor day


Today is Labor Day in Honduras (and I suppose many other Latin American nations) so ironically, we get the day off. But even though we won't be going to school today, we'll still be working on all the grading and planning for this weeks classes that we've put off so far this weekend! And some time in between all that, I absolutely MUST go to the barber shop to get the lawn mowed that grows on top of my head. We realized it had gotten out of control the other day when I put on my Napoleon Dynamite shirt that my sister got me, and my hair strangely resembled Napoleon's.

As for the hamburger picture, let me tell you a little story. Megan and I went out to eat at TGI Fridays yesterday as part of her birthday celebration (her birthday is TOMORROW in case you were wondering!). We both ordered burgers and were happily munching along until Megan stopped abruptly and said, "I can't eat it." She sat her burger down and revealed to me the hair she had just discovered inside her lunch, so I tried to pick it off for her. I thought it was something that I could just pluck off easily and throw on the floor, but when I grabbed it I realized that it was embedded INSIDE the burger. So I kept pulling it until I eventually saw the 6-inch black hair in all its unappetizing glory. So it wasn't much of a birthday treat for her at all, but I sort of made up for it last night by baking her a birthday cake.

On Saturday we went to school for a few hours in the morning to have something analogous to parent-teacher conferences. The parents come to pick up the grades for their kids, and the teachers are there to answer any questions that the parents have about grading, behavior, etc. Not too many parents show up, which is kind of discouraging, but at least one parent came that really needed to. Her daughter failed both of Megan's classes, and she also failed my spelling class - which really takes some skill to do. Hopefully her mom realized that she needs to keep a closer eye on how her daughter is progressing academically. The unfortunate thing is that there are only 5 weeks left in the school year, and it's almost impossible for her to turn her performance around at this point. I just hope she likes summer school!

Some of you faithful few who regularly check this blog will probably be getting a phone call soon! We just bought some Skype minutes that allow us to call from our computer to a land-line phone for about 2 cents a minute. Megan has already put it to use calling her parents, sister and some friends who just had a baby last week. Congratulations Jill, Joel and Eleana!

3 Comments:

At 11:22 a. m., Anonymous Anónimo said...

EW! EW! EW! There is absolutely nothing worse than finding hair in your food! Gross. I'm sorry that happened to your "birthday burger", but am glad that Brad baked you a cake ... I know he's a great chef. (Was it "funfetti"?)
Hope you have a great birthday tomorrow, Megan, wish we could be celebrating with you in person, but you will be in our thoughts and prayers as you both are every day. Love - Mom Fritz

 
At 4:06 p. m., Anonymous Anónimo said...

Yeah, the hair embedded in the food is really disgusting. and you don't need to cut your hair napo...you can do whatever you want to do, gosh!

 
At 6:49 a. m., Blogger Sally said...

Happy Birthday!

We had Labor Day on the first of May as well here in Ukraine.

And I found an ant in my pastry last night, but yesterday was a sucky sort of day and I didn't care, so I just squished the ant and ate the pastry. :)

 

Publicar un comentario

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter