miércoles, agosto 31, 2005

First days of School

So we have survived our first couple of days of school here in Honduras and I can tell already that it is going to be a challenge. Never before have I had as much respect and admiration for educators as I do now. It is REALLY tough work! I may as well report that Brad and I are not exactly teaching the subjects that we had planned on teaching originally. I am teaching 7-9th grade math and science and Brad is teaching 10-11th grade Biology and Chemistry. He is also teaching a spelling class for grades 7-11. The way that the school works is that the teachers must change classes and the students stay in their classrooms. There are around 15 students per class and students graduate after 11th grade. Each student takes like 12 different subjects per year and like in university courses, they do not have the same schedule every day. Brad and I were really excited to find out that the school has a small laboratory that we may use for our science classes. It is not well supplied, but the administrators at the school here have been wonderful and are working hard to help us get the materials we need.
We also had to go to an openhouse last night so that all of the parents could meet us. It was good to meet the parents of the students but it definately made for a long work day! After these few days Brad and I are still really excited for the school year coming up but we now realize how much learning we actually have to do! And if anyone has any advice on how to keep middle schoolers in their seats let me know!

4 Comments:

At 12:23 p. m., Anonymous Anónimo said...

Hi guys. Tell Jeff to update his blog. Yours is great. Hope all is well.

-Jeff's Brother

 
At 7:08 a. m., Blogger Yi said...

:) Hope everything is going well...

 
At 9:30 a. m., Anonymous Anónimo said...

We haven't heard from Jeff in about a week. We would appreciate it it you could let us know if he's okay. And please tell him we're thinking of him.
Thanks, Jeff's parents

 
At 12:31 p. m., Blogger Brandi said...

I suggest duct tape for keeping students in their chairs. No knowledge of Spanish required.

 

Publicar un comentario

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter